Supporting Day-to-Day Operations of the Victim Services Unit
FREDERICK, Md. (July 12, 2021) – The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office (FCSO) is pleased to welcome Taylor McGuire as the new Victim Witness Coordinator, assisting with all operations of the FCSO Victim Services Unit (VSU).
“I am very excited to have Taylor join the VSU, her education and interest in the field, combined with her passion for helping others, make her a great fit,” said Maggie Henderson, FCSO VSU Lead. “I am confident that her outgoing personality and ability to empathize will make a positive impact on the community we serve.”
McGuire’s responsibilities in this new role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assists Criminal Investigations personnel on victim matters
- Administer lethality screens and danger assessments as needed
- Accompany victims to court for Protective Order/Peace Order proceedings
- Assists with the implementation and training of the Intimate Partner Violence Initiative
- Provides advocacy for victims and acts as a liaison with service organizations to locate resources
- Responds on scene, 24/7, to provide crisis intervention services and information to victims and witnesses of crime
- Assists with all victim/witness services to include referrals, liaison services, crisis intervention, training, and support
- Assists the Criminal Investigative Services Unit in researching criminal/civil backgrounds of citizens requesting the return of weapon(s)
- Register victims for notification of offender release through VINElink and the local Frederick County Adult Detention Center notification process
- Meets with victims to provide crisis intervention counseling and makes necessary referrals to appropriate social service agencies for ongoing services
- Represents FCSO on task forces with advocacy groups, and with allied criminal justice agencies to address victim and witness issues. This representation includes the local Frederick County Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team and the Sexual Assault Response Team.
McGuire earned a bachelor’s in criminology with a minor in psychology from West Virginia University in 2017. Her internships include research assistant at the National White Collar Crime Center and Inmate Rehabilitation Workshop at the United States Penitentiary and Federal Correctional Institution.
Before joining the FCSO, from 2018-2021, she was a 911-call taker and police dispatcher at the Frederick County Emergency Communications Center. From 2017-2018, she was a residential counselor at Way Station Inc., working with individuals suffering from mental health illnesses.
The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office (FCSO) is a full-service law enforcement agency; an arm of the court, and a keeper of offenders. In this regard, it exists to serve the more than 250,000 citizens of Frederick County with respect, fairness, and compassion. FCSO is committed to the prevention of crime; the protection of life and property; the preservation of peace and order; the enforcement of laws and ordinances; the safeguarding of constitutional guarantees; and safekeeping of prisoners. The men, women, and officers of this office nurture public trust by holding themselves to the highest standards of performance and ethics. The FCSO is located at 110 Airport Drive East, Frederick, MD, 21701. Visit www.frederickcosheriff.com for more information.